Monday, November 30, 2015

Scratch Game Design

 

  
 
In Mr. Sanderl's class this past week we had to make a chase game! I tried my best to make it bug-free and get feedback from others. I got a lot of feedback from my friends like what I should do and what would make it cool like music and characters. I did a loot of research to make everything move smoothly, but sometimes it didn't work and had to fix it a little so it would work.  I played my friends other games to see if I could take a little bit of code to make mine better. I also worked on this on my free time this took me awhile to figure out but I did it! We also did a platformer game what helped me a lot in this one was the hyperlinks Mr. Sanderl put on the focus wall and Mr. Sanderl's game.

My characters Giga and Pico I took from scratch and just made them different colors. In my game they are brother and sister. I choose the boardwalk background because I thought it look the coolest and I thought it kinda looked like Kauai so I put in my game. I made Pico chase Giga around because for some reason it was difficult to make the player run away. I choose them to be fighting over a cookie because that's is basically my life with my siblings. My sprites in my platformer game is Gobo the neon green sprite is to jump on the "clouds" to get the ball and go to the next level before time was up. This game was easier to make than the chase game.

My best code that I put together was in my platformer game. It was at the end where the if's are. So if the sprite touched the yellow ball in 10 seconds it would go to a screen where I wrote "you win" and music played. But if the sprite didn't make in 10 seconds the screen would go to a "game over" screen and play some weird music, and the sprite would say "aww man" "try again". The problems I had with this game was the controls and the artificial intelligence. At first when I put the controls in the worked smoothly but then the next day when I logged on they didn't work anymore! So I had to code it another way but that a had little problems but I left it alone.Giga was really hard the same thing happened with the arrow key controls. I made her point Pico but then it didn't work anymore. So now she's not actually chasing Pico she is just going anywhere she wants but kinda avoiding Pico. But this is my first game and I had lots of trouble. But I think my next game is better. It will be coming soon! So now the second game has come out but this was more time consuming with gravity engine I couldn't decide wether to do it or not because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't so I didn't want to waste my time on that so I did simple jumping instead and I couldn't get the falling so I didn't do it.






9 comments:

  1. I thought it was hilarious that she took the last cookie. It's also something what I would do. The scoreboard it a little wacky but, the costume change at the end was cool and fit the mood for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your concept of your game and I love your characters.
    To improve your game I would get Pico to move more smoothly.
    Good job on your script, I love your topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sprites and backdrops you used. One thing would be to take out the yellow circle for the first level and then put it in the second level so people don't get confused and try to go to the yellow circle. I also like how it plays sounds when you win. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how smoothly the sprites move. You should make more levels. I like how you made an ending

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you matched the platforms with the slopes. It's easy to win, I know you can fix that. When it goes to the moon backdrop, I love how the yellow circle looks like the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the win sign t the end but maybe you can make the sprit fall. Other then the I love the sprit and backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the creativity in the game and the colors. But when I played the game I only moved down with the platforms and when I wasn't on the platforms I didn't move down maybe try the ''Simple Jumping or Gravity Engine'' video on the focus wall.But I do love your game and the way your platforms move down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your character but I coud'nt really move or jump.You can try searching or using tips to help your sprite move.So far its really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great sprites and platforms
    Although the game seems kinda short so maybe you could add a few more levels
    Great job overall!

    ReplyDelete